As part of our commitment to the environment, Overlander Batteries are working in conjunction with BatteryBack who operate as an Approved Battery Compliance Scheme.
● Many batteries contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment when not dealt with correctly.
● The dumping of batteries in your household bin means they will end up in landfill causing pollution.
Most batteries can be recycled which has 2 main benefits;
● Preventing harmful chemicals from reaching landfill sites and contaminating the environment
● By reusing the raw materials in batteries there is less demand on the planets resources
You can visit www.Batteryback.org to find you’re nearest battery recycling point.
● Don't throw used batteries into your household waste
● Don't send back used batteries in the post as this is illegal and counter productive in helping the environment
● Do use rechargeable batteries, modern rechargeable batteries in most case last longer than standard alkaline batteries in a single charge and can be recharged upto a 1000 times
Under the Waste Battery regulations, Overlander Batteries are now offering a take back
scheme for all portable waste batteries. You can return your waste batteries
to our business premises in person (please do not post). Alternatively, you
can find your local recycling facility at www.BatteryBack.org.
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive is now UK law. The legislation aims to make producers pay for the collection, treatment and recovery of waste electrical equipment. The regulations also mean that suppliers of equipment like high street shops and internet retailers must allow consumers to return their waste equipment free of charge.
The amount of WEEE we throw away is increasing by around 5% each year, making it the fastest growing waste stream in the UK.
● Much of the UK’s WEEE ends up in landfill, where the lead and other toxins it contains can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.
● Many electrical items that we throw away can be repaired or recycled. Recycling items helps to save our natural finite resources and also reduces the environmental and health risks associated with sending electrical goods to landfill.
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (EEE) have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites.
Overlander Batteries is obliged under these regulations to offer our customers free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when they buy a new Electrical or Electronic product from us.
Goods are marked with this symbol to show that they were produced after 13th August 2005, and should be disposed of separately from normal household waste so that they can be recycled.
If you have any more questions regarding battery recycling please feel free to contact us.
Battery Compliance Reg No. : BPRN02613
You can download these files for more information on WEEE regulations, and the battery back scheme.